It's getting hot in here...

Remember I wrote about Kalbaisakhi? I don't know if I jinxed it or not, but since then, Kolkata has not seen any rain, making this the hottest April in years. This weekend the temperature went over 40 in Celsius, and it was extremely dry for this part of the country.

Add to that a major power outage in the city on Sunday, when even services like Metro (underground rail), hospitals, and airport were hit. Even the traffic signals were out for some time! Power supply was restored to normalcy only by late night.

Since yesterday, the humidity has also increased, making it all the more unbearable. I went to the market this morning, and one of the vegetable vendor collapsed from heat stroke right in front of me. I am trying my best to beat the heat with cap / sunscreen / sunglasses, and plenty of fluids. If I survive, will see you here. Else, charge global warming for murder.

12 comments:

Anuradha said...

Summers been bad all over india..Can you imagine Bangalore at 38 degrees.. Hope the rains come quicker .. Its been drizzling a little in the evenings and so evenings are quite pleasant!!

RB said...

Hit Delhi before it gets unbearable. :)

~ ॐ ~ said...

bhai ji take care hai !!!

global warming ki to khaat khadi kar di jayegi agar tujhe kuch ho gaya to !!! tension na le tu !!!

R said...

Apna dhyan rakho, vatsa. Aur jaldi jaldi Dilli ki or prasthaan karo. Yahaan bhi garmi aasmaan choo chuki hai. Per log collapse nahi kar rahe abhi....in a month's time pehhaps.

deeps said...

its same out here though its dry. so coolers are more effective than AC right now here.......

SS said...

Delhi is boiling like 'hell'. Argh!
I don't know if I'll mange to survive the heat here. But if I don't, I might meet you in 'heaven' :P

Subhadip said...

@Anu
Yeah, I know - Bangalore, the last bastion of pleasant weather...

@RB
As if it's already not unbearable there!

@Prashant
Chal tu kehta hai to tension nehi leta.

@RT
Matlab mein jab aoonga to log collapse bhi karenge...

@Deeps
Yahan to AC hi chalta hai... too humid for coolers to work here.

@Swati
He he... how do you know I will land up there? Stay cool :)

SS said...

ehh..Because Kolkata is already boiling like hell. If God does not intend to send you to heaven, he will let you stay in Kolkata :P

I am said...

Scary to see someone collapse with a hit stroke !!

Dahi, lassi, nimbu panni, UMBRELLA (a black one) .. are the other essential saviors ..

Subhadip said...

@Swati
Solid logic... see you in heaven then :P

@Tanu
I am taking plenty of fluids - no problem there. Umbrella - now let's just say it creates too much resistance / drag - you know what I mean?

Butterfly said...

During the past few days, I have also wondered about your Kalbaishakhi post and the fact that there has been no rain after you wrote it...I hope you are healthy...We must all be very careful in this heat.

Subhadip said...

Yes, I am doing fine. Actually this dry heat is similar to Delhi's, which I am comfortable dealing with. Hope you are taking care as well. Heard some schools have started giving nutri-drinks to students... has your school done that as well?